05 May Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Walnut Pesto
Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Walnut Pesto
The full review is in! Crispy, crunchy, sweet, nutty, savory Brussels sprouts are impossible to resist! But they just got that Thang, that IT, that irresistible caramelized smoky flavor from the pizza oven. The well-known bright, herbaceous pesto gives these Brussels an extra oomph, an outstanding (excellent) combination. Uncomplicated prep ahead for a get-together and just as good for a weeknight meal.Brussels that could unequivocally be served at a gastropub. They are that delicious! Don't have a pizza oven? Toss the sprouts on a flat grill pan and continue with the instructions.
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin, use enough to coat Brussels
- 1 teaspoon salt kosher, to taste
- 2 cups basil fresh, loosely packed
- 1/3 cup walnuts toasted
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- Combine all Pesto sauce ingredients into a small food processor. Mix until combined. Set aside in a small glass mason jar. You will have a bit of left-over pesto for later use.
How to Roast Brussels sprouts
- Preheat the pizza oven or grill until the pizza oven and grill have heated as hot as possible. Generally, the pizza oven will be 600-800 degrees, and the grill will be 400 degrees. The difference in heat is significant, so the time it takes will vary.
- Don't have a pizza oven; use a grill pan with small perforated holes.
- Cut the end of Brussels. Cut Brussels sprouts into three equal slices.
- Toss Brussels in enough olive oil and kosher salt to lightly coat them.
- In a medium cast-iron pan, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add Brussels to the pan. Once the Brussels are charred, rotate the bottom Brussels to the top. So they also get a good char on them.
- Spoon the homemade pesto onto the Brussels sprouts.
When Are Brussels Sprouts Cooked?
- Using a knife, insert it into the largest sprout. When the blade inserts easily with some resistance, your sprouts are ready to pull from the oven or grill.