15 Apr Cherry Almond Pizza
Almond Cherry Pizza
What else can you cook in your pizza oven? This easy 2-minute cherry almond pizza dessert. Your pizza oven is not just restricted to pizza! Think dessert pizza!Crunchy pizza dough dusted with powdered sugar as it leaves the scorching cavernous pizza oven, converging into a layer of almond paste and warm tart cherry center. The only thing left to do is lick the powdered sugar from the corners of your mouth. It’s a concert of flavors that will bring down the Yummy!Outdoor pizza ovens have become popular; whether portable, built-in, wood-fired, gas or electric, they are the new cooking vessel for your outdoor kitchen. Of course, you may not use your pizza oven every day, but it’s interactive entertainment for the whole family and your guests when you do.Don’t have a pizza oven; not to worry; you can use a pizza stone on your grill.This is a quick last-minute dessert you can create easily in minutes. Buying a pre-made pizza dough from your local pizzeria or grocery store is a time saver. We will be making homemade pizza dough later as an option. Keeping the tart cherries, almond paste, and powdered sugar in your pantry makes this desert an easy one to make.
- 1 Pizza Oven or pizza stone
- 2 Wood Pizza Peels
- 1 Metal Pizza Tool Set
- 2 16-inch Metal Pizza Pans
- 1 Rolling Pin I prefer the marble but any rolling pin will work
- 1 Bench scraper
- 1 Sandwich Spreader
- 1 Small Handheld Sifter
- 1 Pair of heat resistant gloves recommended
- 14.5 ounces ounces of red tart cherries whole pitted cherries in water
- 1/4 cup vanilla granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla pure extract
- 1 Tablespoon water cold
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 16 ounces pizza dough
- 1 cup all-purpose flour For rolling out dough and dusting pizza peels
- 12.5 ounces almond cake and pastry filling Solo brand
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the pizza oven for 20-30 minutes. Heating the pizza oven makes a difference in the outcome of your pizza. Using a pizza stone? Place stone on grill grates and heat grill for the same time.
How to Make The Cherry Filling
- In a small saucepan, add cherries with juice. Add sugar and water. Bring to boil. Add Vanilla. Mix 1 Tablespoon water and 1 Tablespoon cornstarch together until dissolved; add slurry to the saucepan of cherry mixture. Bring to boil over medium-high for 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens. Pour sauce into a shallow bowl and let cool. As the sauce begins to cool, it will thicken. Refrigerate.
How to Roll Out Pizza Dough
- Pull the pizza dough from the refrigerator and packaging one hour ahead. Dust the dough with a light coating of flour. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent dough from drying out. Letting the dough rest is essential so that the gluten strands relax for the dough to become soft, easily rolled out, and hold its shape.Cut the dough in half on a floured surface using a knife or bench scraper, also known as a dough scraper, bench knife, or pastry cutter. Fold the dough using one hand to guide the dough and the other to fold the dough under the topside; repeat until a ball is formed and the top of the dough is smooth. Let dough rest on a floured surface, covered until you're ready to roll the dough out.
Rolling Dough Out
- Lightly flour the surface, rolling pin, and dough. Roll the dough in one direction, going to and from you. Turn the dough 1/4 turn and continue rolling and Turing dough until the dough is about 1/3-inch thick.
- Lay dough on a lightly flour-dusted wooden pizza peel.
How to Build Your Dessert Pizza
- Spread a thin layer of almond pastry filling using a pastry or sandwich spreader.
- Spoon the cherry filling onto the pizza, leaving a half-inch border for the crust.
- Note: Before Making Your Pizza Set aside a couple of round metal pizza trays within reach of the pizza oven with a pizza cutter. Set aside a small bowl of powdered sugar and a small handheld sifter.
How to Get Your Pizza Into The Oven
- Bring the wood pizza peel to your pizza oven, and rest the peel on the ledge holding the handle in one hand. Assist the pizza into the oven with your other hand using the wide metal peel. Slide the peel partially under the pizza, shimmying it and shaking in one quick motion removing the peel and leaving the pizza in the center of the oven. I prefer using the pizza peels together. Some people will flour and build the pizza on the wood or metal peel, shaking and sliding the pizza into the oven.
- As the pizza begins to brown and the crust starts to bubble up, test the bottom of the pizza with the medal peel to see if it's ready to rotate; if the dough lifts easily, it's time to swivel the pizza. Slide the pizza peel under the dough and pivot the pizza until browned. Remove pizza from the oven using a metal pizza peel.
- Dust with powdered sugar using a small hand-held sifter.
- Cut pizza with a pizza cutter and serve.
- Note: I like the wide blade surface of a sandwich spreader. This is perfect for easy coverage and spreading. It's a great kitchen staple and versatile tool.
Tips and Tricks
- Have a bucket of soapy water ready to put the metal pizza peel in after you are finished cooking; it will save you an abundance of time scrubbing the peel.